First complete test run passing on a Windows platform

Reece Dunn msclrhd at googlemail.com
Fri Jan 30 03:05:21 CST 2009

2009/1/30 Ge van Geldorp <ge at gse.nl>:
>> From: Reece Dunn <msclrhd at googlemail.com>
>>
>> The Wine tests are now passing on a Windows XP machine
>>
> (http://test.winehq.org/data/4b27dfec939d131c9d7e09f97f14dfc7dabe8843/#group
> _XP).
>
> Actually, that was not the first time. On 20 Jan an XP machine passed:
> http://test.winehq.org/data/e9d8c9f572998054b1f9c386ea81a3570c65f2d2/#group_
> XP
> And on 27 Jan a 2003 machine:
> http://test.winehq.org/data/8f829034f3fe4da3e7adce2f4685e10ba2e2fe82/#group_
> 2003

Nice! Paul Vriens already mentioned this.

Quite a few of the XP and 2003 machines have 1-3 failures, so this
should mean that we get more Windows machines running at 0 failures.
It will also mean that we could potentially use those machines to test
the inconsistencies in the test runs, like Dan did with the Wine runs
when setting up patchwatcher.

This could be used to see exactly what fails when you change the DPI
settings, for example. Or use a different theme. Or no theme. And
other things that the user could change, doing them one at a time to
get a clear "this is what changes when you do X".

I suspect that the user32:sysparams tests would be complex to fix.

>> Two of the other four only have 2 or 3 failures.
>>
>> The 2003 group has 3 machines with 1 failure each
>> (urlmon:protocol on one, user32:menu on the others).
>
> I've sent a patch for the user32:menu failure a couple of weeks back but it
> got blackholed
> http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-patches/2009-January/067483.html

Do you know why you need to do a SetForegroundWindow there to make the
tests succeed?
Why is the input being sent to a different window?
Why does it vary from platform-to-platform and machine-to-machine?

When you understand that, you can then either give that evidence in
the resubmit - which would give the patch a better chance at being
accepted - or use it to improve the test another way that is more
correct (if that is what the investigation shows). For example, are
the tests failing because of DPI settings? Or has Windows changed the
menu sizes such that the coordinates are wrong?

> I won't be submitting test results next week but don't worry, I'll be
> back...

No problem.

- Reece