winequartz.drv Mac OS X UI discontinued?

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 11 16:21:19 CDT 2009

Adam Strzelecki wrote:
> Never encountered any. I doubt it is possible since Obj-C is
> dynamically typed (binded) language, which means you can pass any kind
> of msg to any kind of obj and it will compile/run. Either you will
> receive an "method not found" exception or "nil" as return. It is very
> close to what Ruby is. Actually both Ruby & ObjC as based on Smalltalk
> idea.

Now I understand.  It is very interesting that Obj-C is based upon
something that I actually have an idea of how it works...
> Of course there's wxWidgets for example which wraps Cocoa as one of
> its backends, but the wrapper is C++ & ObjC mixture.
>
> I really don't understand why Obj-C is treated as evil, even it would
> be part only of Mac platform of Wine and even it is supported by GDB
> and GCC on any possible platform :/
Need to convince AJ of that.  It would be nice to be able to do Mac
builds on Linux and vice versa.  I don't like the problems that are
encountered using mingw32 for the testsuite when building it on Linux.
> Once I thought when moving to Mac that its doggy idea to force some
> Obj-C on Mac, while other part of the World speak C/C++, but now I
> know that Obj-C is what defined OSX actually and way the whole system
> works. So wondering who of Obj-C dislikers at Wine HQ really uses Mac
> and really did any of native apps on Mac.

Don't know.  I know that Austin English does use a Mac.  I don't know if
he builds programs on it, however.  I would like to see at least one
FOSS project use Obj-C code to support the Mac rather than using c wrappers.

James McKenzie