winequartz.drv Mac OS X UI discontinued?

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 11 16:45:24 CDT 2009

Austin English wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 11, 2009 at 4:21 PM, James
> McKenzie<jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> Adam Strzelecki wrote:
>>
>>> I really don't understand why Obj-C is treated as evil, even it would
>>> be part only of Mac platform of Wine and even it is supported by GDB
>>> and GCC on any possible platform :/
>>>
>> Need to convince AJ of that.  It would be nice to be able to do Mac
>> builds on Linux and vice versa.  I don't like the problems that are
>> encountered using mingw32 for the testsuite when building it on Linux.
>>

> What problems are you referencing?

The fact that the test suite was not working properly if built using
mingw32 vice building it with MS tools.  If this has been overcome, good
work for the devs.

>>> Once I thought when moving to Mac that its doggy idea to force some
>>> Obj-C on Mac, while other part of the World speak C/C++, but now I
>>> know that Obj-C is what defined OSX actually and way the whole system
>>> works. So wondering who of Obj-C dislikers at Wine HQ really uses Mac
>>> and really did any of native apps on Mac.
>>>

>> Don't know.  I know that Austin English does use a Mac.  I don't know if
>> he builds programs on it, however.  I would like to see at least one
>> FOSS project use Obj-C code to support the Mac rather than using c wrappers.
>>

> No, I don't have one. I have ssh access to one, but that's it. I'd
> like to see more testing done on the Mac, but until I get one
> personally, that won't happen for a while.

There is nothing like owning one....(I have three, my partner two, just
for the record, I also own a Thinkpad A22p, that was the last PC I will
buy unless Apple disappears.)

As to testing, what needs to be done?  I would like to see a native
version of Wine for the Mac, vice the requirement to use X11.  That of
course, may be years away (I worked with both the NeoOffice.org and
OpenOffice.org projects with this.  It was a multi-year adventure.)

James McKenzie