MaxVertexBlendMatrices issue

Karl Vogel karl.vogel at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 04:30:28 CDT 2009

>> So I was wondering what the proper way to fix this would be? Should
>> this be made overrideable by a registry setting for certain games? Or
>> should the GL check be changed? Or is that software emulated vertex
>> blending patch needed to correctly fix the issue?
>
> The correct fix is to implement a fixed function pipeline replacement shader
> and emulate vertex blending with vertex shaders. I have started such a
> replacement pipeline, but have paused it because it did not achive the
> intended results(performance improvements). This was about a year ago.
> Someone rebased it to wine git a few months ago, the results are in the
> wine-devel archies.
>
> Note that my replacement pipeline does not yet implement vertex blending,
> but it is needed to add this emulation on top of it.

Unfortunately, I know next to nothing about D3D or OpenGL...

I do wonder why the game appears to work fine.. I haven't noticed any
anomalies in the graphics output as far as I can tell. If this is also
the case for those 3 other games, wouldn't an override via the
registry for this value not be an acceptable solution?!