suggestions about MacOS DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH patch

Joerg-Cyril.Hoehle at t-systems.com Joerg-Cyril.Hoehle at t-systems.com
Tue Jul 14 08:38:00 CDT 2009

Dear Mac developers,

please make suggestions about the xyz_LIBRARY_PATH MacOS issue that allows libpng.so
and libfreetype.so to be found at run-time in /usr/X11/lib (bug 17674).

A patch appending /usr/X11/lib to DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH,
much like Mike Kronenberg and MacPorts do, was rejected.
http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-patches/2009-July/075290.html

Alexandre Julliard explained to me that he feels the
xyz_LIBRARY_PATH feels bad being specific to Wine.  He believes that all X11 apps
should be affected and this issue be solved at "system level".

Why aren't X11 apps affected on my machine? From the manpages, I believe the issue
is specific to dlopen(), not regular shared libraries.  Few apps use dlopen().
Configure detects these libraries precisely because it does not use dlopen().

So either we can convince AJ that is issue is specific to Wine, or the best that can
be done on MacOS, or file a bug with Apple, or we need another solution.

- Emmanuel Maillard had a patch specific to libfreetype in wineQuartz for 0.9.58,
  prepending the output of get_runtime_libdir() prior to calling wine_dlopen().
I object that this would have to be repeated for every other particular .so that
Wine happens to use, e.g. libpng -- not very nice.
(I also don't understand why get_runtime_libdir() would have helped, /usr/X11/lib
 is needed for these two libraries).

- Other suggestions?

Thanks for your help,
	Jörg Höhle.