suggestions about MacOS DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH patch

Juan Lang juan.lang at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 10:25:52 CDT 2009

> There's confusion here: The problem here is not with MacPorts or Fink.
> I have neither of them on my system. Just MacOS, some developer packages
> from Mac's install DVD, X11User.pkg from this DVD, XQuartz and
> Wine compiled myself (+ SuspiciousPackage.pkg, admitedly).
> That's all it takes to run into trouble.

Then the issue is that these packages are installed in an appropriate
location, one that is not searched when attempting to dynamically load
them.  This configuration error is not Wine's fault, and even if we
worked around it other apps that attempted to load them dynamically
would have the same problem.

Note that I never said it was the user's fault, but that it's a
configuration error.  In my opinion the proper place to fix this is in
the library installation itself, or in the distribution of Wine.  Mike
Kronenberg's package does that--cheers, Mike--but it's too different
from mainline to be considered stock Wine.  A MacOS bundle that
addressed this but was built with no patches at all to git Wine would
be a lot closer to what I want.
--Juan