Doing better than barely keeping up with bug reports - Bug Day this Monday (July 20)

Luke Benstead kazade at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 10:36:23 CDT 2009

2009/7/17 Rosanne DiMesio <dimesio at earthlink.net>:
> On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 14:57:21 +0000
> Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com> wrote:
>
>> > DELETED     BugDay  12:33   Informations    DmitryTimoshkov #01 Not useful, eveone works on bugs or features at its own preference, at its own time
>>
>> Dmitry's being overly negative, I think, and it's just plain rude to
>> delete wiki pages like that.  Let's put it back.
>>
>> That said, it might be wise to post proposals for events
>> and let them percolate for a couple days before
>> announcing them.  (In this case, seeing a few
>> enthusiastic replies might have made Dmitry
>> think twice before doing what he did.)
>> - Dan
>>

> I suppose I qualify as one of those "non developer volunteers" being targeted for this, and my reaction is the same as Dmitry's. I've been doing exactly what the instructions on the wiki page ask for, off and on at my own convenience, for about a year, so for me this is at best a non-event. That said, if other people want to do it, I certainly have no objections.

The whole "Hug Day" thing works pretty well for Ubuntu, and getting
people to do this kind of spring clean together gives a kind of burst
of energy. Like I said, I've already grabbed 2 people who use Wine but
have never reported bugs before and I think I've just got a 3rd (my
girlfriend :) ). They all seem keen to help out as a one off. Even if
they each just check to see if a single bug is still around on current
Wine at least it's something. I think it's a good idea.

> The one suggestion I would make after reading the wiki page is that I really don't think it's a good idea to invite ordinary users to ask for bugzilla permissions after triaging just a couple of bugs.
>
> --
> Rosanne DiMesio <dimesio at earthlink.net>

I don't think that Scott meant how it reads... I think he probably
means "if you start to do this regularly, feel free to ask for
bugzilla permissions."

Luke.