FW: Re: please reduce the four registrations on the single winehq.org site.

Scott Ritchie scott at open-vote.org
Sun Jul 19 21:35:15 CDT 2009

S Page wrote:
> Hey, I really want to help the Wine project out by sharing my problems
> and workarounds.
>
> But having to register FOUR TIMES on the same winehq.com site (bugs,
> AppDB, forums, wiki) is excruciatingly painful and hostile to your
> would-be contributors.  I realize you're just using open source
> tooling, but maybe you can press those four products to
> a) implement a single sign-on
> b) support OpenID
>
> Thanks,
> --
> =S Page

Strangely enough, I was just talking about this today at the Community
Leadership Summit.  Unfortunately it seems like it's a pretty difficult
problem to solve as the tools to get all these things talking to
eachother haven't been written.  There are packages that integrate a
forum and a wiki and such together, but they don't provide an easy way
to get the data out of them - switching to them also presents huge data
migration issues.

Mozilla are farthest on the game here, as they were working on writing
some of their own custom stuff based on OpenID, however that then deals
with the need of having each app support an OpenID login.

I'm not sure if it's a good idea, but there may be some merit in having
one of the accounts function as an OpenID Provider and then have the
others be able to link to it (but still be "separate accounts").  After
that it's just about being able to login by OpenID rather than have a
single account moving across each place.

Thanks,
Scott Ritchie