D3D shader assembler (Matteo Bruni)

Matteo Bruni matteo.mystral at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 07:32:36 CDT 2009

2009/7/20 "Luis C. Busquets Pérez" <luis.busquets at ilidium.com>:
> I read several months ago that the itnetion was to create the assembler
> inside the wined3d and then use its functionality inside the diverse d3dx9
> implementations. Has this changed? I think it was Stefan Dösinger sho
> proposed it:
>
> d3dx -> wined3d assembler
> the wined3d will be re-usable and the d3dx functions will be extremely easy.

Yes, the plan changed in the meantime. Now d3dx8 isn't in Wine anymore
(it wasn't used before anyway, the apps using d3dx8 are usually linked
against a static version of the library) so the assembler is needed
only by d3dx9. The assembler can be put into d3dx9_36 and the other
d3dx9_xx dlls can forward to it, as it is for the other d3dx9
functions. DirectX 10 doesn't support anymore assembler shaders, only
HLSL one, so no worry from there.
That said, maybe a part of the assembler, the bytecode writer, could
be useful for the shader compiler. So that part could be moved into
wined3d to have it in common between the assembler and the compiler,
but this is not something that will happen (if it will happen) soon.