RFC XRender add support for dibsections in more color depths

Roderick Colenbrander thunderbird2k at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 15:51:38 CDT 2009

Hi,

For some weeks I have been working on moving more 2D rendering to
XRender. XRender has three advantages for Wine. First of all it allows
us to perform more rendering operations using X which we previously
did using a combination of software rendering and back-forth copying
between the Xserver. Second XRender offers depth conversion (this
gives us proper alpha support in Wine and allows us to bypass DIB
color conversion in some cases!). Third XRender brings us more
hardware acceleration and that way more performance.

The patch attached to this thread adds support for dibsections in
additional color depths. On Xservers running at 24-bit this patch
offers us dibsections in 1-bit/15-bit/16-bit/24-bit/32-bit. (32-bit is
for proper alpha support) Big parts of the Wine X11 Driver make
assumptions about having only two color depths around (1-bit and
screen_depth e.g. 24-bit). I would like to request that people apply
the current patch to latest git (in combination with the Office2007
patch which I posted to wine-patches). Please report any 2D rendering
issues you see and also mention possible Wine crashes due to X errors
like BadMatch. Try as much programs as possible.

Thanks in advance,
Roderick Colenbrander