ODBC Databases: Jet/Access success

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 24 19:01:33 CDT 2009

Barry Bird wrote:
> [Bottom post please, that's how we do things here.]
> James Mckenzie wrote:

>> Austin:
>>
>> Can his list be bounced against the Jet40 and MDAC28 installations?
>>
>> James McKenzie
>>

>>> I don't see how. The dlls were copied from windows, not part of a
>>> redistributable downloadable package.
>>>
>>> --
>>> -Austin

You'll find my list is a subset of Jet40, plus odbc files.  I tried to
get Jet 4.0 SP8 from
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/239114
but failed.  I don't think there is a Jet 4.0 SP8 as such any longer.
It's all in the form of hotfixes. I have Windows XP SP3 to which I have
some time ago updated with Jet 4.0 SP8. I downloaded
WindowsXP-KB829558-x86-ENU.exe as that article says, set wine to Windows
XP and executed
wine WindowsXP-KB829558-x86-ENU.exe
It refused to run, saying my version of XP was already ahead of where it
was trying to update to.

Later down the Microsoft page it says:

"...the ODBC Desktop Driver Pack drivers. These drivers are included
with the Windows 2000 operating system, the Windows XP operating system,
and the Windows Server 2003 operating system."

This article
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/271908/
says
"MDAC version 2.6 and later do not contain Jet or Desktop ODBC drivers"

so it seems the latest MDAC's no use, so I use my list of files from my
WinXP installation.  I may have missed something, but that's the way it
seems it has to be.  Do you really want to go back to MDAC 2.5?

It may be that to fully support all features of JET databases and ODBC
there are some other DLLs (look at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms810823.aspx) which should also
be added.  What I gave is a minimum set to get my programs to work.

Barry:

We talk about winetricks here because Dan Kegel and Austin English put a
lot of time into it to make it work.

For Jet/Access database use, I retrieve the winetricks script, save it
as a file, make it executable (that may be because I'm using a Mac).
Since I use a Mac I have to open a terminal session and type in:

./winetricks jet40 mdac28

This retrieves the Jet Engine version 4.0 and MDAC 2.8.

I would have to check if MDAC includes the ODBC frontend, but it
probably does not.  I don't think that it would be legal to copy the
ODBC front end from Windows, but then again a replacement program might
be available.

I am going to get you list and then use a clean wineprefix to see how
much of what you installed is installed with these two updates.

James McKenzie