Cleaning up the winehq.org website

Scott Ritchie scott at open-vote.org
Mon Jul 27 02:08:53 CDT 2009

Lately I've been attempting to polish up the content on our website.
The visual design looks great since the revamp a while back, however a
lot of the actual words trouble me.  There's a lot of stuff from the
dark ages still lurking around that we don't actually want users to see.

Accordingly, I've been rewriting and deleting a few things and will be
sending lostwages patches in, however I'd like to discuss the changes
here in case there's any objections.

1) Delete the "Link to us" section on the downloads page.  No one uses
this graphic and the information is just noise.

2) Remove the unmaintained porting status page:
http://www.winehq.org/status/porting  - I don't believe this data is
useful to anyone, and if it is it should be imported into the wiki so it
can actually be updated.

3) Remove the "Wine Features" page: http://www.winehq.org/wine_features
- From a user's perspective, the main feature of Wine can be
communicated very simply: run Windows programs.  We can do this much
more effectively earlier in the website, such as on the About page.
More worrisome about the features page, though, is what it doesn't
contain - a user seeing a (seemingly) exhaustive list and actually
reading it might incorrectly conclude that his particular program or
device doesn't work.  The features page is also prone to be out of date.

I'm also going to give the text on some of the content pages a focused
rewrite.  The About page and many of it's links are fairly wordy at the
moment.  I want to avoid losing any users who may potentially dismiss us
as amateurish or too complicated based on our web site.

Thanks,
Scott Ritchie