Spotted on Reddit's frontpage [ wine-patches the black hole of code? ]

Scott Ritchie scott at open-vote.org
Mon Jul 27 06:08:44 CDT 2009

Dmitry Timoshkov wrote:
> "Damjan Jovanovic" <damjan.jov at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Think Wine doesn't accept patches easily, and it's hard to get
>> feedback? Think again.
>
> I think it's not worth an effort to take seriously one post of
> apparently clueless anonymous user and a forward to wine-devel
> of another anonymous user. We've been through this "maintenance/
> governance" subject before, no need to iterate.

I'd rather have the opposite problem.  We should be inundated with
praise for how easy and fun it is to become a Wine developer.  Instead
of worries about silently dropped patches, contributors should be
complaining about how they got too much help.

First the patchwatcher tool told them their first patch broke the test
suite on a platform they didn't think of.  Then their second patch,
which passed, was put on a landing page where another developer could
click a button and send a review.  Then their third patch sat in the
queue for two weeks because Alexandre was on vacation, so patchwatcher
again sent them an email suggesting they check in on IRC to see if there
were other issues.

It's only a vision now, but that's the kind of problem with sending
patches I'd like us to be dismissing as nonsense.  I'll be working on
getting patchwatcher back online this week and Luke (the author of that
article) already has a prototype of the patch tracking system he mentions.

Thanks,
Scott Ritchie