Adding a pedantic version of transl

Paul Vriens paul.vriens.wine at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 03:28:21 CDT 2009

André Hentschel wrote:
> Paul Vriens schrieb:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Currently transl doesn't show potential translation errors on a higher
>> level. I'm busy implementing a more pedantic version of transl that
>> shows the potential translation errors on the resfile pages (see
>> attached screenshot).
>>
>> I'm now looking for the best way to get into pedantic mode. Will a
>> simple link on that page do? It will always show a link to the other
>> mode of course.
>>
>> We don't want this on by default as there are a lot of false
>> positives, just think of all those "OK" buttons and it will take some
>> performance to present this.
>>
>> Once this is dealt with I will start with a pedantic mode on an even
>> higher level (the lang page). This however only if it doesn't take too
>> much of a performance hit.

> I think a Link is enough. And for things like "OK" we can add a
> "hardcode"-file with things not to check.

Hi,

I've finished the first version of the pedantic transl version. There is
a link on top of the page where one switches between 'Normal' and
'Pedantic'. This link is available on all pages and all links on those
pages act accordingly.

As mentioned before the two pages of interest for now are the resfile
and the lang page. The resfile page is pretty quick in coughing up the
results the lang page however takes some time (4-5 seconds on my laptop).

I'm looking for a way to 'cache' the results of the lang page as now the
calculations are done on each refresh of this page. Any suggestions for
this? Three come to mind:

1. Change the php/data/<lang> files to incorporate the pedantic warnings
once a user want to see the full results for a language.
2. Add a lang summary file (for each language) that includes the
pedantic warnings.
3. Use a database (SQLite?) instead of these php/data/<lang> files.
MySQL is of course present on WineHQ but I'm not sure if this will be
overkill.

Some screenshots for the curious:

lang page: http://imgshack.info/images/e2wsftgyxwt3bxetbbq.png
resfile page: http://imgshack.info/images/2w6rs7xm5uggsfplc5ke.png