[Fwd: Re: DIB engine]

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 1 21:09:44 CDT 2009

To the list as well.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Re: DIB engine
Date: 	Mon, 01 Jun 2009 19:09:15 -0700
From: 	James McKenzie <jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net>
To: 	Andrew Eikum <andrew at brightnightgames.com>
<1243755935.4535.1.camel at stephan-desktop>
<4A22AD55.5020306 at brightnightgames.com>
<b6bb06270905311154w2b9ccb12jee6d64ea587f9524 at mail.gmail.com>
<4A22D65A.3030205 at brightnightgames.com>

Andrew Eikum wrote:
> Austin English wrote:
>> On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 11:16 AM, Andrew
>> <andrew at brightnightgames.com> wrote:
>>
>>> My name's Andrew Eikum, I'm an undergraduate Computer Science
>>> student at the
>>> University of Minnesota.  I contacted a Wine dev a few weeks ago
>>> asking for
>>> a small project to use to get familiar with Wine.  I was pointed
>>> towards the
>>> gdiplus section and told to begin stubbing out the missing
>>> functions, to
>>> facilitate debugging.  After familiarizing myself with how Wine's
>>> DLLs are
>>> built, and with Git, I'm now making quick progress.  I expect to have a
>>> (huge) patchset ready in the next week or two with most of the gdiplus
>>> functions stubbed.
>>>
>>> After that, I plan to begin work on implementing some of the
>>> functions.  My
>>> degree's emphasis is computer graphics, so working on gdiplus will
>>> give me a
>>> chance to learn more about the field as well as apply what I already
>>> know.
>>>  I'm looking forward to working with other Wine devs on gdiplus, and
>>> other
>>> parts of Wine in the future.
>>>

>> Welcome to Wine!
>>
>> Be sure when sending patches to break them into small sets, with one
>> change per patch. It makes it much easier to review that way, and if
>> your patch causes a regression, much easier to identify which part if
>> it's in multiple patches.
>>
> Thanks for the welcome!
>
> I am definitely doing small commits and following the WineGit wiki
> page.  One concern I have is that the number of patches will probably
> be over 50 or even 75 -- I'm not sure if it'd be better to submit them
> all in one go as they're pretty much all alike (just stubbing), or
> just do batches of 5-10 every couple days as I finish them (so it's
> not a deluge of patches).  Any suggestions?

I'll second what Austin said.  Please send in like the following:

[1/2]  Test for some gdiplus Windows function with todo_wine wrapper
that demonstrates default Windows function from a source other than
reverse-engineering (this is an absolute no-no.)
[2/2]  Code that implements the default function along with code to
remove todo_wine wrapper.

This way if your second code breaks something, the test will be in place
and the todo_wine wrapper will remain.

James McKenzie