Wine MIME handling

Roderick Colenbrander thunderbird2k at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 06:26:27 CDT 2009

Hi,

For the past few days I have been looking at MIME handling in Wine. A
program I'm using uses CreateProcess to launch a pdf file and I would
like to use the default native pdf viewer.

Initially I wrote a simple script which calls xdg-open to launch the
file offered by Wine. (xdg-open "`wine winepath -u "$1"`") The script
works properly and it could be used for all sorts of file formats. It
would be useful to have a 'winemime' mechanism for this in Wine
(either a script, program or shell32 code).

The issue could be solved in different ways. For instance there is
already some XDG MIME code in shell32 which could be extended, a
winebrowser-like winelib program could be written or we could use a
script. Personally I would favor either of the last two solutions. The
main downside of a script is that as far as I know I need to set the
whole linux path (e.g. /usr/local/bin/winemime) in the registry and
this could be avoided if the tool was a winelib program as it would be
in the wine path by default. Second I would like not to depend on the
xds-open script on linux but have this code merged inside winemime.

A winelib based winemime would be very similar to winebrowser, so if
we would go the winelib way might it make sense to extend winebrowser
for this?

I hope to get some feedback and suggestions on how to proceed before I
start writing code.

Thanks,
Roderick Colenbrander