Fate of PulseAudio in WINE

Reece Dunn msclrhd at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 16 07:24:51 CDT 2009

2009/6/16 Jerome Leclanche <adys.wh at gmail.com>:
> On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 2:14 PM, Roderick
> Colenbrander<thunderbird2k at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I think a lot of issues can already be fixed without requiring a new driver.
>
> One of the problems is, every time one of these issues is brought up,
> we hear people complaining "But Pulseaudio should be a drop-in
> replacement! We shouldn't have to change our code".
> There is a major (and irritating) circle of blaming that comes up
> every time the subject of PA is brought up. If anything should be
> fixed first, it's the attitude people have with it.
>
> I'm not going to argue with designs; I'm no sound developer. I don't
> like PA, it's way too unstable still; the only reason I use it is
> because of a pair of USB headphones which don't work properly under
> ALSA.
> If issues can be fixed without requiring a new driver, they definitely
> should be. What is irritating is the "Just don't use Pulse" attitude
> some people have.
> Both most recently Scott Richie and Arthur Taylor, and also other
> earlier authors, have done really great efforts on what is perceived
> as a "problem with wine" -- *nevermind* whose fault it actually is --
> and none of this should be shrugged off with a "What's the point? This
> won't ever be accepted". Have some respect.

FWIW,there is a simple PulseAudio API that exposes an OSS-like
open/read/write/close API to pulseaudio.

The previous attempt, IIRC, was based on the more complicated
pulseaudio API and based on the winealsa code. It should (in theory)
be possible to create a pulseaudio driver using this simpler
pulseaudio API and the wineoss driver.

- Reece