Fate of PulseAudio in WINE

Remco remco47 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 10:39:47 CDT 2009

On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 4:48 PM, Stefan Dösinger<stefandoesinger at gmx.at> wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 16. Juni 2009 13:41:26 schrieb Jerome Leclanche:
>> One of the problems is, every time one of these issues is brought up,
>> we hear people complaining "But Pulseaudio should be a drop-in
>> replacement! We shouldn't have to change our code".
>> There is a major (and irritating) circle of blaming that comes up
>> every time the subject of PA is brought up. If anything should be
>> fixed first, it's the attitude people have with it.
> <rant>
> s/PulseAudio/Wine. If Wine had the attitude towards broken Windows apps as the
> PA devs have towards broken broken Alsa apps we'd probably run 10
> Applications with Wine and mostly rant about how broken Windows apps are.

Well, but Wine doesn't fix bugs for Windows programs. If a program
doesn't work in Windows, it's not a requirement that it works in Wine.

I think that the PulseAudio developer means the same thing for PA.
Some apps use ALSA in a way that cannot be expected to work. In other
words: it probably fails on some ALSA systems as well.

Remco