RFC: dmime: Implement the DirectMusicTool8 class factory.

Rok Mandeljc rok.mandeljc at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 13:44:39 CDT 2009

On 16. 06. 2009 12:33, Francois Gouget wrote:
> ---
>
> So all the code in dlls/dmime/tool.c was unused because nothing was
> calling DMUSIC_CreateDirectMusicTool8Impl(). Apparently the intent was
> to call it from a class factory so I looked around and came up with the
> following patch that implements a class factory for DirectMusicTool8.
> However I have never implemented a class factory before and don't know
> much about them.
>

> So does this patch make sense?
>
> Does the fact that we have an IID_IDirectMusicTool8 instead of a
> CLSID_XXX hint at something I'm missing?
>
> How come this was not done when the file was first added?
>
> That said IDirectMusicTool8Impl looks like one big stub. So if it makes
> more sense to remove it entirely I can do that too.

The honest answer would be that because back in the day when I was
working on it, I didn't fully understand how COM works, particularly the
difference between class object and interface. As a result, there's
bunch of .c files containing stubbed code for interfaces as if they were
class objects, when they really aren't. And as such, they should be
removed...

Regards,
    Rok