wine compatible logo needed

Ben Klein shacklein at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 01:19:20 CDT 2009

2009/6/24 Metody Stefanov <metody_stefanov at abv.bg>:
> Thanks for all the responses.
> Yes, I intend to specify the wine version and the linux distro used.
> I had in mind something like this for the manual:
>
> "System Requirements:
> [...] Hardware stuff [...]
> Operating system:
> Windows XP SP2 or later.
> [WORKS WITH WINE LOGO GOES HERE] wine* 1.1.24 (or should I use just 1.1?)
> "

The danger with specifying 1.1 versions is that one is released every
two weeks. It can quickly become obsolete, and in a few months (or
years) time users may get confused as to why they can't find the exact
version you specify any more.

> And then, a footnote: "Works with wine 1.1.24, openSuSe 11.1 linux, see
> Appendix A "Technical notes/Descriptions" (Have to come up with a better
> name) for more information"
> And then in the appendix, a small description of what wine is, something
> along the lines of :
> [wine official logo] wine: Application compatibility layer that allows
> running software designed for windows on other OSses.
> Follows a list of OSes that are supported (resp. architectures etc.) and
> then a note that wine is work in progress so experience with later/previous
> versions may vary (will think of a better way to put it).
> Thoughts?

This would only be practical for an electronic, online manual which
you would update after rigorous testing of each new release.