free software replacement for MFC?

Michael Stefaniuc mstefani at redhat.com
Wed Jun 24 04:04:53 CDT 2009

Karl Berry wrote:
> In the course of reviewing some possible projects for GNU, Richard
> Stallman asked me if there was any active work going on to write a free
> software replacement for MFC.
I still have writing a mfc42 DLL for Wine on my extended todo list. But
for Wine I would focus on the ABI compatibility and *not* on the API
compatibility. Means the mfc42 dll would be written in C and not C++. As
I don't want to get tainted by looking at the mfc headers/source I
wouldn't write any mfc public headers for Wine. I guess you guys are
interested in the API and not ABI compatibility; just to make it easy
for people to port their stuff to the native non-Windows host.

> From the MFC pages I found on the Wine web site
> (http://www.winehq.org/docs/winelib-guide/mfc), which talk about ways of
> working with the Microsoft classes and don't mention any alternatives, I
> gather this isn't a current goal of Wine itself.
>
> But still, I figured that this would be the most likely place for any
> such project would be known about, or even find possible developers if
> one was to be started.  Looking on the web, all I found was the old
> ofc.sf.net, which appears not to have gotten very far and to have been
> abandoned years ago, judging from the source repository.
>
> The other projects I came across, such as wxWidgets and SmartC++, appear
> not to try to be a compatible replacement for MFC, but rather a
> functional alternative.
>
> If anyone here has corrections, additions, suggestions related to those,
> I'd be grateful for any replies.

bye
	michael