why is Kronenberg's Wine/Mac work blacklisted on winehq?

Juan Lang juan.lang at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 15:05:21 CDT 2009

Greetings Jörg,

> Yesterday I edited http://wiki.winehq.org/MacOSX/FAQs to be much less outdated than before and today I found that Dmitry Timoshkov removed all references to Mike Kronenberg's Wine binary distribution at http://www.kronenberg.org/darwine/
>
> This is unappropriate censorship to me.

I can't speculate about Dmitry's motivations, but there is one simple
rationale I can think of for such an action:  the Wine project does
not generally provide support for binary distributions.  The only
exceptions are those that are simple compiles of the official WineHQ
git source, with required dependencies, but otherwise unmodified
source.  Mike Kronenberg's package may be close to this, but as long
as it has any patches applied that are not in mainline, it doesn't
qualify, at least in my opinion.

This isn't to say that Mike isn't free to make his own distribution
available, subject to the usual license restrictions.  It just means
that we're under no obligation to mention it.
--Juan