why is Kronenberg's Wine/Mac work blacklisted on winehq?

Maik Schulz ladenlokalvelbert at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 16:48:11 CDT 2009

Hi Jörg, Juan,

On 25 Jun 2009, at 22:05, Juan Lang wrote:

> Greetings Jörg,
>
>> Yesterday I edited http://wiki.winehq.org/MacOSX/FAQs to be much
>> less outdated than before and today I found that Dmitry Timoshkov
>> removed all references to Mike Kronenberg's Wine binary
>> distribution at http://www.kronenberg.org/darwine/
>>
>> This is unappropriate censorship to me.
>
> I can't speculate about Dmitry's motivations, but there is one simple
> rationale I can think of for such an action:  the Wine project does
> not generally provide support for binary distributions.  The only
> exceptions are those that are simple compiles of the official WineHQ
> git source, with required dependencies, but otherwise unmodified
> source.  Mike Kronenberg's package may be close to this, but as long
> as it has any patches applied that are not in mainline, it doesn't
> qualify, at least in my opinion.
>
> This isn't to say that Mike isn't free to make his own distribution
> available, subject to the usual license restrictions.  It just means
> that we're under no obligation to mention it.
> --Juan

IMHO, it would be sufficient to add a "not supported by winehq.org"
disclaimer next to the mention. If there currently is no binary
distribution that packs the vanilla wine tree then you're making it
unnecessarily difficult to obtain a binary distribution for the Mac OS
X crowd. XCode is a separate install/download (weighing in at almost
1GB) and people are generally less comfortable with the command line
than Linux folks. I had to google quite a bit to find current wine
packages for OS X and a link on the wiki would have been much
appreciated.

Cheers,
-Maik