why is Kronenberg's Wine/Mac work blacklisted on winehq?

Ladenlokal Velbert ladenlokalvelbert at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 03:38:32 CDT 2009

On 26 Jun 2009, at 10:29, Dmitry Timoshkov wrote:

> "Maik Schulz" <ladenlokalvelbert at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> IMHO, it would be sufficient to add a "not supported by
>> winehq.org"  disclaimer next to the mention. If there currently is
>> no binary  distribution that packs the vanilla wine tree then
>> you're making it  unnecessarily difficult to obtain a binary
>> distribution for the Mac OS  X crowd. XCode is a separate install/
>> download (weighing in at almost  1GB) and people are generally less
>> comfortable with the command line  than Linux folks. I had to
>> google quite a bit to find current wine  packages for OS X and a
>> link on the wiki would have been much  appreciated.
>
> In my opinion WineHQ Wiki is not an appropriate place for that.
> It would look like WineHQ somehow suggests to download and use
> that package, while that's not true. Darwine builds fall in the
> same category as WineX, and other Wine forks with not clear or
> conflicting licenses, or not supported and even listed/published
> patches applied. Users are not welcome to download, use, and report
> bugs for these packages, moreover these packages/packagers have
> nothing to do with WineHQ at all, and not deserve mentioning, as it
> would look like inappropriate advertising using WineHQ resources.
>
> IMHO.
>
> --
> Dmitry.

Fair enough, but then, as long as there is no "approved" binary
package, we have to accept that we probably get as many OS X users as
you would get on Windows for an application that requires you to
compile it yourself. The vast majority will be happy to find
winehq.org, read that it works on OS X... then get disappointed when
they don't find a binary package and turn to google to find one--and
end up with a non-supported build. Maybe we shouldn't even advertise
the "works on OS X" as long as we target only a minority on that
platform.

Cheers,
-Maik