why is Kronenberg's Wine/Mac work blacklisted on winehq?

Joerg-Cyril.Hoehle at t-systems.com Joerg-Cyril.Hoehle at t-systems.com
Mon Jun 29 07:10:25 CDT 2009

>If there were a plain vanilla wine built on OS X

IMHO, Mac Users can expect from a binary distribution something Mac-like, e.g. some kind of GUI.

Another OSS project I've worked on for over a decade used to embed NeXtStep
specific GUI source code. There was no GUI for any other UNIX derivative.
Why not ship something that meets the OS users' expectations?

What I like about Kronenberg's distribution is that GUI and Wine are
 (at least internally) separated.
/Volumes/Darwine/Darwine/Contents.../bin/wine winecfg|regedit|xyz.exe
just works like I'm used to on Linux. Actually, I've never used the
GUI to start something beside winecfg.

Maybe one could turn this into a requirement for a more or less official Wine distribution?
+ Do not hide or stand in the way of a plain "wine foo.exe".
  Rather than that, document it!

BTW, I now understand that this WineHelper GUI originates from the
defunct Darwine project.  I'd recommend removing from this GUI's preferences
menu anything that's settable in winecfg today (...most of "preferences"!).
(AFAIK, winecfg is only 6 years old, Linux Wine users used to edit configuration
files before that GUI was created, so back then, this Mac preferences GUI was
a real benefit to users).

Regards,
	Jörg Höhle