Kernel32 profile/INI mappings to registry

Silver Blade silverblade_uk at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 2 08:00:02 CST 2009

Hi guys,

Whilst looking into some winmm.dll modifications for ReactOS, I found that the Drivers and Drivers32 registry keys (used for determining the wavemapper, midi devices etc.) effectively replace those entries found in SYSTEM.INI of previous Windows versions.

Looking around in the registry reveals that Windows has a set of registry keys that effectively map INI file sections to other registry keys.

This mapping is handled by the various "profile" APIs exported by kernel32, and is described on MSDN for the "GetPrivateProfileString" API:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms724353(VS.85).aspx#

Since ReactOS imports WINE's kernel32, I checked WINE's kernel32 source code and found that this mapping doesn't take place.

This in itself doesn't pose a problem - INI files work, after all! However IMO it may be worth implementing this functionality, and this is something I would be interested in doing. It makes more sense (to me anyway) to implement this in WINE rather than directly in ReactOS. And it seems relatively trivial.

Just thought I'd post here and gather any thoughts on this?

Regards,

Andrew Greenwood