Wiki challenge question on user account creation

Dimi Paun dimi at lattica.com
Wed Mar 4 11:41:40 CST 2009

On Tue, 2009-03-03 at 21:32 -0600, John Klehm wrote:
> Luckily it seems MoinMoin has a feature that provides exactly this:
> http://moinmo.in/TextCha
>
> However on that page it only mentions a challenge question for commits
> which wasn't quite what I wanted so I took a look at the source for
> stable release 1.8.2

Yes, this can be a problem -- I'm afraid captchas  are a bit annoying,
and before we go ahead and implement them I'd like to find the opinion
of the real users of the wiki if they'd like something like this.

And if we don't implement captchas for saves (which I personally would
hate but maybe others would be OK with it), I'm not sure it would save
us all that much spam to begin with, as spammer do create accounts
manually and the captchas would not be a problem for them.

> http://hg.moinmo.in/moin/1.8/file/1f0db10c207f/MoinMoin/action/newaccount.py#l25
>
> Seems they have the challenge question for user account creation in
> that version.
>
> What's involved in upgrading? How can I get the current winehq wiki
> code/data?

First we would need to upgrade the Wiki. We are currently looking to
do that, so it shouldn't be a problem.

The code for the Wiki is on Wine's SourceForge CVS repository:
    http://wine.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/wine/wiki/

--
Dimi Paun <dimi at lattica.com>
Lattica, Inc.