[RFC] named pipe message-mode design

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Wed Mar 4 14:52:21 CST 2009

>> how would you envisage doing client-side SMB named pipes?
>
> By doing the I/O through the wineserver. It has all the necessary
> mechanisms already.

 ok - great.  whereabouts? which ones? any existing examples? which
existing code in wineserver utilises the existing mechanisms to which
you refer?

 the reason i ask is because such mechanisms could also be used, if
they are filedescriptor-based, to do communication with samba franky
unix-domain-sockets.

 but, also, i need to know, to evaluate the mechanisms you mention,
and work out how to use them.

 l.

 p.s. if they're asynchronous mechanisms, i can't stand asychronous
designs, i had it up to ^here^ spending nearly 18 months implementing
a single-process asynchronous nmbd (which is basically a DNS server
and client, rolled into one).  i didn't know any better so i
cheerfully did it.  so i'd be happy to help design an asynchronous
message-mode namedpipe design but would in no way want to be part of
its actual implementation.

 p.p.s. that's why i did a synchronous design for "the piper".