Wiki challenge question on user account creation

King InuYasha ngompa13 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 04:34:53 CST 2009

Oops...

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: King InuYasha <ngompa13 at gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 4:34 AM
Subject: Re: Wiki challenge question on user account creation
To: Dmitry Timoshkov <dmitry at codeweavers.com>

On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 12:07 AM, Dmitry Timoshkov <dmitry at codeweavers.com>wrote:

> "Dimi Paun" <dimi at lattica.com> wrote:
>
>  On Wed, 2009-03-04 at 11:59 -0600, John Klehm wrote:
>>
>>> I wouldn't really want per save captcha either, per account creation
>>> is what I was hoping would cut down the spam.  If the accounts are
>>> created manually not much we can do about it :(
>>>

>> I think that's the case. Which is why I think it's not worth doing,
>> as we would just make it harder on most real users, while not detracting
>> any of the spammers.
>>

> Actually if there are a lot of user account creation every day in the Wine
> wiki then there is something wrong with it. There are not that much Wine
> developers and probably some active testers/appdb maintainers, who else
> could pretend to have a user account in the Wine wiki?
>
>  Moreover it will add additional maintenance
>> burden on our part to keep the captchas operational.
>>

> Isn't that an one time effort?
>
> --
> Dmitry.

A wiki shouldn't have users creating accounts every day, that is a bad
indicator. Also, in theory, CAPTCHA code does only need a one-time effort,
but most wikis do not implement the best way to do CAPTCHA, so unless Wine
was to use ReCAPTCHA, they would need to make sure that the CAPTCHA made is
confusing enough that a computer cannot read it, which means mixing colors,
strike lines, shapes, etc. It doesn't help that WineHQ uses MoinMoin wiki,
which afaik does not have a CAPTCHA extension available. Also, it's quite
obvious that the Moin engine on WineHQ is modified, so even if there was
one, it may not work, depending on the intensity of the changes to the
engine.