installing ie6 and directX

Rosanne DiMesio dimesio at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 5 19:00:07 CST 2009

On Fri, 6 Mar 2009 10:48:15 +1100
Ben Klein <shacklein at gmail.com> wrote:

> I was going to say check the AppDB, but then I noticed that most of
> the reports had this as an instruction, using ies4linux or
> PlayOnLinux, neither of which Wine approves of. I've cleared out the
> AppDB of those entries and asked the people who submitted them to
> resubmit without using them.

AFAIK there is no rule prohibiting users from submitting test data based on ies4linux, PlayOnLinux, or any other 3rd party app (including Crossover). Lots of apps, including ones with maintainers, have test reports mentioning ies4linux, and some apps have howtos written by maintainers that specifically call for ies4linux.

Not that I disagree with what you did; I'm getting rather tired of telling people on the forum that we don't support 3rd party apps, and that position doesn't entirely make sense if the AppDB specifies using them, and we're referring people to the AppDB for instructions on how to install/run apps.

So my question is: should we (the admins) start purging the entire AppDB of test reports and howtos based on using 3rd party apps? What about apps with maintainers (who might not agree with this position)?

Yes, I'm serious. I'm already combing through the AppDB entry by entry to fix the non-UTF-8 characters; it would be very easy for me to to do this at the same time.

--
Rosanne DiMesio <dimesio at earthlink.net>