Sufficient 1.2 release criterion: passing all tests on all platforms?

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.org
Sun Mar 8 12:08:47 CDT 2009

Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com> writes:

> On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 4:43 PM, Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com> wrote:
>> Even without any new features, it seems to me that
>> passing all tests on all platforms might all on its own
>> merit a new stable release.
>
> Grouping platforms by age:
> 2000 and earlier have 75 rows with red or mixed,
> XP/2003/Vista/2008 have 19 rows with red or mixed.
>
> Given how most apps for the last while have been targeted
> at XP or Vista, it's quite tempting to say that even fixing
> just those 19 rows, i.e. passing all tests on XP, 2003, Vista,
> and Windows 2008 (and Wine), all 32 bits,
> would merit a new stable release.

I don't think tests passing on Windows is a reason for a release, it has
very little impact on the Wine code. In the vast majority of cases these
are tests that already succeed on Wine and on some Windows versions, so
fixing them only involves making them less strict. That's not something
users care about.

You could certainly make the argument that failing tests should block
the release, but that doesn't imply that succeeding tests justify a
release all by themselves.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.org