Wiki challenge question on user account creation

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 09:06:14 CDT 2009

2009/3/11 Ben Klein <shacklein at gmail.com>:

> Does what we have now work? Yes. Is there any reason why we should
> consider moving from Moin to some other Wiki system? Your turn to
> answer.

At work, I use a ridiculous range of wiki engines. I've used Moin and
MediaWiki most heavily.

Reasons for picking Moin are typically:

* it'll do
* it's not PHP
* it doesn't use a database.

Reasons for picking MediaWiki are typically:

* it'll do
* people know how to use Wikipedia.

I did a move at work from Moin to MediaWiki, on the intranet wiki ten
of us use all day every day. Our reason was that our Moin wiki was
just somehow not as usable as we wanted from a wiki, so we gave
MediaWiki a go and it was good enough to bother moving engines. Also,
the Moin wiki was full of outdated rubbish, so this was a handy excuse
to start over.

It's not clear that any of those reasons apply here. Moving wiki
engines is a *pain in the backside* and it's not something you do
unless you have to.

> Number of new users is not necessarily proportional to number of new
> spammers. Do we actually have a problem with spam on the Wiki?

If there is, I'll hereby put my hand up to help.

- d.