How to enable font anti-aliasing in Wine?

Roderick Colenbrander thunderbird2k at gmx.net
Sun Mar 15 11:27:09 CDT 2009

Hi,

This weekend I was reading the 'Dutch slashdot' (tweakers.net) about Wine 1.1.17 and a user was wondering when Wine would finally support font anti-aliasing. I said we have been supporting this for ages. I also thought I was using it on my own Debian system.

When asking more and more users about it in #winehackers (Chris, Detlef, Marcus, Stefan ..) only Stefan had it working on a Wine 1.1.0 build he still had around on his system (he didn't have a newer normal Wine copy) on his Gentoo. Further nobody on Debian, Fedora, Gentoo or Suse had it working except someone on a old 1.0 Wine.

For the record when anti-aliasing is around Winecfg should look like:
http://stud4.tuwien.ac.at/~e0526822/winecfg.png (this on Stefan his 1.1.0).

What is so special about Wine why anti-aliasing isn't working for most users? (it could be a regression) In Stefan his case it started working after installing a Windows tahoma.ttf. What is so special about this font? A modern Linux system has dozens or hundreds of fonts installed and both GNOME/KDE can use each font AA'ed without issues.

Roderick