How to enable font anti-aliasing in Wine?

Rick Jones rick at activeservice.co.uk
Sun Mar 15 13:15:51 CDT 2009

> 2009/3/15 Roderick Colenbrander <thunderbird2k at gmx.net>:
>
> ... A string of registry changes enabled smoothed
> fonts for me:

http://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?p=20061&sid=6fbbcf362e44a66b310ef88f631c83f5

I was already using FontSmoothing=2 which was some improvement over
nothing, but I didn't know these other settings. FontSmoothingType=2 made
things much better, the others didn't seem to have any effect.

However, I then discovered that with FontSmoothingType=2, a Java app I run
in Wine crashes when it opens. :(  The interesting item out of the Java
stack trace is:

Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: 0 incompatible with
Text-specific LCD contrast key

Quite why Java is getting involved at this level I don't really know.
Running on Windows with the same font smoothing settings it works fine.

Puzzling ...