wine web pages update

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Sun Mar 15 19:04:37 CDT 2009

2009/3/15 Ben Klein <shacklein at gmail.com>:
> 2009/3/16 Vít Hrachový <vit.hrachovy at sandbox.cz>:
>> Apostolos Syropoulos wrote:

>>> For example, the first page says "Run Windows Applications on Linux, BSD
>>> and MacOS".
>>> OK Solaris is a commercial product but so is MacOS! Since I do release
>>> binary packages
>>> of wine for both Solaris and OpenSolaris at http://ww.sunfreepacks.com
>>> could you include
>>> this info in the download section. Also, could you please say something
>>> like "Run Windows
>>> Application on most Unix and Unix-like systems". This shows impartiality
>>> and is far more
>>> friendly.

> Didn't someone suggest this change when then new website design was
> being discussed? I believe I showed support for it too ... But now
> we're being accused of bias against Solaris? What about HP-UX, AIX,
> NetBSD, OpenBSD etc.? :P

It's *intended* to run on anything Unix or Unix-like, but in practice,
development was Linux-centric for long enough that everything else is
in practice a second-class platform, and implying otherwise would be
misleading.

I understand the actively supported platforms where stuff can be
expected mostly to work (Linux, Mac OS X, FreeBSD, Solaris) are
already listed. AIUI, Wine isn't actually working properly at present
on OpenBSD and NetBSD.

(Heck, I'm fiddling with getting it compiling on Windows ... but I'm
not demanding that be listed to be fair.)

- d.