SoC: DirectShow/Gstreamer

Trevor Davenport trevor.davenport at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 12:25:43 CDT 2009

Hi Roderick,

> Hi Trevor,
>
> I was the one who put this project suggestion on the wiki. Personally I think it should be a fine soc project. The project would be quite flexible. I expect that the project is too broad and initially should be confined to some widely used audio / video codecs and some widely used rendering methods (rgb / yuv). There will likely be bugs enough to fix ;)

Yeah, will definitely need to start with the basics, something simple
for audio and video, such as mp3 or ogg for audio and theora or mpeg
for video.  I think time and the current quartz status would be the
factors that would allow more to be done or not.  If its possible, i
think long term the best solution would be to have something that can
dynamically create the gstreamer pipeline based on the the type of
elements needed and the type of data and the gstreamer elements
currently installed.  GStreamer has a few elements that do this
currently (decodebin/playbin).  I need to look into the current
directshow filters to see how difficult it has been for gstreamer to
use current directshow filters on windows.  My current feeling is that
the hard part won't be getting the data in/out of gstreamer, but
rather making it fit well into wine's quartz (and the work needed
there to accomplish this, bugs, un-implemented, etc).

> Further I would define one or more apps you want to get working. If I remember correctly some games want to use mpeg or divx for movie playback (Warcraft III uses another codec). The ultimate app to get working using wine's quartz + gstreamer would of course be Windows Media Player ;) Though an open source media player like Media player classic which can use the same codecs is likely easier because you have the source.

Yeah, I'd start with the simplest directshow program i can find,
likely whatever simple app I can make that uses a few small elements
and get that working.  Then start adding tests or/and testing larger
apps.  Media Player Classic looks like a good candidate for a more
complex programs.  Thanks for mentioning it, I wasn't sure what i
would use for this yet, but having that source would definitely help.

Cheers,

Trevor Davenport