Summer of Code 2009 is on

Seth Shelnutt shelnutt2 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 18:54:19 CDT 2009

Hello Kai,

I think I'd like to enter the SoC this year. I'd like to do one thing, but
I've got a few different approaches to it. What I want to do is allows dlls
to either access drivers directly or have access to .so's. I've talked about
having windows to linux libraries in the past and it was said it wasn't
worth the effort. However I'd like to get ATI's CAL working via wine. Cuda
from Nvidia worked with a simple wrapper, but I don't believe a wrapper is
the correct solution, as ATI is being more picky. I think allowing wine more
access directly to drivers could solve part of this problem. I know that
both the ATI and Nvidia drivers for linux/windows now work on the same code
base, so I know some of the functions and calls must be similiar between
drivers.

The other option is implementing a method for wine to examine a dll and a
.so and automatically forward the functions which are compatiable (the
same), sort of an auto wrapper, that way all libraries that have native
ports can be used. Designing and coding something along these lines of win
to lin libraries is something I've already thought a bit about and have some
ideas but I don't know if is considered a large enough project for GSoC.

Thanks,

Seth Shelnutt