include: Deconstify a variable

Andrew Talbot Andrew.Talbot at talbotville.com
Thu Mar 19 13:05:12 CDT 2009

Francois Gouget wrote:

> I could not find MapLS declared in winbase.h in any of the SDKs I have
> here. However I found it in win_me/inc16/thunks.h in an old DDK
> (Microsoft Windows 2000 DDK) but the declaration was:
>
> DWORD  WINAPI  MapLS(DWORD);
>
> But this being what looks like a 16bit include it probably does not mean
> much.
>
> So that leaves the questions of whether my latest SDK is recent enough
> (6.0.6001.18000.367-20080205), and why Wine declares MapLS in winbase.h.

MapSL(), MapLS() and UnMapLS() would appear to be undocumented functions from the
Windows 95 to Windows 2000 era. The article
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/195310 is very informative.

I think that a const-correct function whose output pointer derives from an
input pointer should only make the const promise if it will not withdraw it
on return. (Thus, functions like strchr() are not const-correct.) So it
seems right to me that MapLS() should take a non-const input pointer.

--
Andy.