XInput2 (and relative mouse movements) will be in the next X release

Scott Ritchie scott at open-vote.org
Fri Mar 20 16:57:05 CDT 2009

After some chatting in #xorg-devel this week to follow up on the status
of the long-awaited relative mouse movements, I have an announcement:

Relative mouse movements will be in XInput2, and XInput2 will be in the
next x.org release.  This new release will be coming out roughly in the
same timeframe as Wine 1.2, which makes relative mouse movement support
very feasible for our coming release.

If you want to test out a GIT version of XInput2 so you can get to work,
you can check out the instructions at the bottom of the DInput page in
the wiki: http://wiki.winehq.org/DInput

whot (from #xorg-devel) told me that if we need any API changes to do
this right, we can ask him.  Now is the time.

Thanks,
Scott Ritchie