SOC Project Idea: Winelib-aware scons

Chris Morgan chmorgan at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 23:42:44 CDT 2009

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 10:21 PM, Ben Klein <shacklein at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/3/21 Pau Garcia i Quiles <pgquiles at elpauer.org>:
>> Hello,
>>
>> If you don't mind using CMake ( http://cmake.org ) instead of Scons,
>> here is a starting point:
>>
>> http://dgwarp.hd.free.fr/vcproj2cmake.rb
>>
>> On Sat, Mar 21, 2009 at 12:50 AM, Scott Ritchie <scott at open-vote.org> wrote:
>>> For a while now I've been hoping someone would tackle a pet project of
>>> mine.  It occurred to me that it would be a great summer of code project.
>>>
>>> Basically, I want a magic script that can convert a visual studio
>>> project file into a winelib-aware, scons-powered, linux-compatible build
>>> system.  This would make it very easy for a Windows-only Visual Studio
>>> project to be ported.
>>>
>>> Now, normally, someone writing portable code would probably want to use
>>> scons from the start instead of Visual Studio, but Winelib throws a monkey
>>> wrench into this process by making formerly non-portable code suddenly Linux
>>> compatible.
>>>
>>> As a good example application to test, the program eMule would be a good
>>> candidate - it's open source, works great in Wine, is built with Visual
>>> Studio, and has no good native equivalents.
>>>
>>> I've added a work in progress wiki page on the Wine wiki here:
>>> http://wiki.winehq.org/SconsWine
>>>

>>> I'm not sure whether this will function better as an scons summer of
>>> code project or a Wine one, nor am I sure where a student would be able
>>> to find a good mentor.  Accordingly, I'm emailing both mailing lists,
>>> and hoping for some feedback, particularly if it doesn't sound feasible.
>>>

>>> Thanks,
>>> Scott Ritchie
>
> There are so many different build systems. Classic Make, GNU Make,
> scons, setuptools ... there must be plenty I don't know about too. A
> framework for adapting Visual Studio projects to some generic format
> which can then be processed into whatever native make-like system you
> want would probably be the way to go, but also involve a *lot* more
> work than just making a scons or CMake variant :)

Monodevelop can open and use Visual Studio projects. It may be a
useful foundation to build a plugin on that would accomplish the goal
of building directly from the existing solution. I think it can open
vs2003 and beyond but only works well with vs2005 and beyond. I use it
all of the time to build .net projects both from the gui and from the
command line.

Chris