Serial port conformance tests

Chris Teague chris.teague at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 17:06:06 CDT 2009

I'm new to wine, looking into serial communications.  I have a failing
scenario in a application, and I'd like to write a conformance test to
demonstrate/document the issue.  I looked in dlls/ntdll/tests but did
not see any serial port related tests - did I miss them or do none
exist yet?  Assuming none exist, a very useful tool would be a serial
port loopback device.  Rather than require conformance testers to
attach a hardware loopback device (NULL modem) to a physical port,
could we create some virtual ports in wine and connect them together?
Maybe com98 and com99 for example?  Anything written to one of the
ports would be sent to the other one.  On Windows this can be done
with a device driver, one example is com0com
(http://com0com.sourceforge.net/).
Is this a reasonable approach?  Thanks,
Chris