flattering words about winetricks

Scott Ritchie scott at open-vote.org
Mon Mar 23 20:28:29 CDT 2009

Vincent Povirk wrote:
> Indeed, the other frontends I'm aware of overengineered it and/or
> tinkered with the prefix more than they should have. As far as I can
> tell, you're the first person to just write a self-contained shell
> script to simplify common work-arounds instead of trying to provide a
> framework that could install every possible app.
>
> The "brilliant idea" you added was the notion that users just need a
> little help setting things up and not a program that installs their
> app for them.

Indeed.  Designs such as winetools, playonlinux, and wine-doors were
doomed to failure because installing an application _should_ be as
simple as double clicking it.  Do the workarounds once, at setup time,
and from then after everything that can work will work in the same
simple, expected way.

If you have to keep going back to the front end for installing every
application (where it's only needed some of the time), you're slowing
the process down and adding a lot of points of failure such as an
obsolete install script or a no-longer needed workaround.

Thanks,
Scott Ritchie