GSoC 2009

Owen Rudge owen at owenrudge.net
Sat Mar 28 13:35:17 CDT 2009

Hi Tim,

> I'd like to help out with wine during the summer of code. I have never done
> any dll development apart from a little messing with the windows research
> kernel, so I'd rather work on something else.

If you have had exposure to Microsoft source code, then I believe I'm
right in saying that you are not able to work on Wine, I'm afraid. (I
seem to recall reading somewhere that it might be OK for you to work on,
say, client apps if you've only seen kernel code, but I might be wrong -
somebody else will no doubt know better.)

> I would love to work on control panel applets or the wine config tool as in the
> project ideas, however, theming and the test suite would be two other things
> I'd be interested in. It would be great if you could give me some pointers as
> to where my help would be appreciated most so I dig a little deeper into that
> for a couple of days before I write my proposal.

I worked on the control panel last year, and was in the process of
converting some winecfg pages to separate applets - indeed, there's some
outstanding work in my git repository that needs finishing/merging (but
I have had a lack of time to work on this year, sadly.) Assuming you
aren't barred from contributing for the aforementioned legal reasons,
then there is lots more work that can be done on improving Wine
configuration and so on if you're interested in that. Theming and the
test suite are also areas which could do with work though, and you may
be able to make a more substantial project out of those areas.

Cheers,

--
Owen Rudge
http://www.owenrudge.net/