How to "bottle" applications for distribution with wine?

Ben Klein shacklein at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 05:08:49 CDT 2009

2009/3/29 Tim Felgentreff <timfelgentreff at gmail.com>:
> King InuYasha <ngompa13 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I was working on setting up a Windows game to work on all the Linux machines
>> I have, but I don't want to install the full blown Wine on each one. Is
>> there a way to "bottle" Wine with application binaries and make it all work
>> from a single folder and have it totally self sufficient (similar to
>> TransGaming's Cedega for Linux with EVE Online)?
>
> Sure, you can just copy the full wine install into the wineprefix you created
> for your game, e.g. I usually put a "wine" folder next to the drive_c into my
> wine prefix for that. Then just make yourself a startup script for you game in
> which you set you PATH to search "$WINEPREFIX/wine/bin" first. This is
> basically how PlayOnLinux does it.
> Hope that helps

He's asking if it's possible to bundle a minimal Wine with some native
app (e.g. EVE "Linux version" which was EVE for Windows with Cedega,
and the same basic principle for the "Linux version" of the Sims
shipped with some Mandrakes).

The only thing I can think of is to calculate the maximum set of
required DLLs for the application, and only ship those, but it's
probably not worth it. It's better in general to use a system-wide
Wine, due to the general-purpose nature of Wine.