16bit code generation

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 18:12:09 CDT 2009

2009/3/28 Austin English <austinenglish at gmail.com>:
> On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 5:34 PM, King InuYasha <ngompa13 at gmail.com> wrote:

>> What is wrong with OpenWatcom? It is an open source development toolchain,
>> with experimental linux binaries, yes, but they do work the last time I
>> checked (which was when 1.8 release came out).

> It's not widely available, it's license is not open enough for many
> distros (ArchLinux has it available, and there's an initial Gentoo
> ebuild according to their wiki), but Fedora/Suse/Ubuntu don't have it
> available.

It fails DFSG (so I'm surprised it passed OSI, given OSI is based on
DFSG), with many important concerns raised:

http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/msg34684.html

I emailed licensing at fsf.org to ask about it (since it isn't on their
list of licenses) and got back a quick reply saying an official
determination wasn't likely any time in the foreseeable future, but
it's definitely not GPL compatible and they couldn't actually tell at
a glance if it was FSF "free" or not.

- d.