16bit code generation

King InuYasha ngompa13 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 03:30:40 CDT 2009

On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 7:39 PM, Hin-Tak Leung <hintak_leung at yahoo.co.uk>wrote:

> I wonder how bad is it to port some old version of djgpp forward?
> ( http://www.delorie.com/djgpp/history.html ) - it is a fork of gcc as far
> as I see and did support 16-bit code generation at one time?

It is a fork of GCC, but as stated earlier, it produces only 32-bit code.
Still, it isn't impossible to make a 32-bit compiler generate 16-bit code,
is it? I know Visual C++ (1.52) was like that, and while it would definitely
not be trivial, perhaps adding in Win16 support to MinGW/DJGPPv2 GCC would
be a better way to go rather than porting an old version of DJGPP. Nobody
really wants to maintain an old version of GCC and from what I'm seeing,
DJGPP v1 uses a pretty old version of GCC (2.x I believe). DJGPP v2's latest
version uses GCC 4.3.2, so it might be possible to work with that and add
16-bit DOS/Win16 code generation.