SoC: JavaScript implementation

Piotr Caban piotr.caban at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 14:08:52 CDT 2009

Hi,

I'm planning to participate in Google Summer of Code this year. I was
thinking about working on recently added jscript.dll implementation. Its
engine looks almost complete, but I can see that there are many
unimplemented APIs. That's what I'd like to improve.

I've already talked about this idea with Jacek, who has written
jscript.dll, and he says that he likes it.

I was looking for pages that intensively use JavaScript as well as
simple real life test cases. My goals would be, in order:

- Look at Wine jscript.dll related bugs.
These would be: 15432, 15582, 16208, 16594 and 17152. I'm not sure if
they are JScript or MSHTML bugs yet as they require deeper analyze. I
will fix their JScript part of problem.

- Fix W3School (http://www.w3schools.com/js/default.asp) JavaScript
examples.
These seem to be a nice tests for me. They test commonly used APIs in
real life scenarios. I believe that if these tests work, most web sides
should work as well.

- Test complex web pages
Pages like GMail or Google Office would be really cool to have working
with our JavaScript. Unfortunately I'm afraid that it may be too much
work for SoC to fix them. I'd like to do some testing and find some
complex web pages that I could use as tests.

If someone has any more ideas about tests I'm open for suggestions.

For testing JavaScript on web pages I'm planning to use IE working on
Wine with built-in jscript.dll. This way I will be able to test
jscript.dll on web pages that is currently impossible to do with Wine
MSHTML and iexplore.exe.

What do you think about this idea?

Thanks,
    Piotr Caban