No subject

Tue Mar 17 14:04:44 CDT 2009

on some games - like Age of Empires 2 - and has some speedups there.
Not sure how much of a benefit this is going to be overall.

> But in practice, it helps very few applications.  Improving gdiplus
> (an easier task), we have found to have far more dramatic benefits.

I understand this approach. The DIB engine is not a trivial, or
isolated piece of functionality, to develop.

There are some things I'd be interested in seeing:
1.  how this affects double-buffering performance (which a lot of
applications make use of, as well as the common controls), which uses
DIBs to draw the data off-screen;
2.  how this affects theme performance (the repainting of winecfg with
the Gem theme is glacially slow);
3.  whether this will support alpha blending (useful for themes that
support it - such as is likely to be used to provide better
integration look and feel - as well as the Wine icon refresh that was
being looked at).

I wonder if there are any media players or video editing applications
that would benefit?

Anyway, I'll hopefully get around to do some testing on the DIB engine
at some point to test these out.

- Reece