RFC on Base Wine Config

Paul TBBle Hampson Paul.Hampson at Pobox.com
Sun May 3 04:52:07 CDT 2009

On Sun, May 03, 2009 at 03:07:35PM +1000, Ben Klein wrote:
> It's NOT a networked drive, is it? Drive mappings are the only way to
> tell Wine and apps running in Wine where your files are in your
> host-system (Unix-style) filesystem.

The discussion on wine-devel in April related to bug 15883 suggested the
implementation of \\?\unix\ which would in turn allow programs access to
things that aren't mapped in the DosDevices list, unless specifically
disallowed (which wasn't discussed at the time)

A quick look at [1] suggests that \\?\unix\etc/hostname would seem to be
a reasonable thing to expect to work under Wine.

> Note that it would be a breach of security to allow some method to
> access / without a direct mapping in dosdevices.

How so? I'm fairly sure this suggestion was dismissed in the
above-mentioned email discussions as well.

[1] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa365247(VS.85).aspx

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, B.Sc, LPI, MCSE
Very-later-year Asian Studies student, ANU
Paul.Hampson at Pobox.com

Of course Pacman didn't influence us as kids. If it did,
we'd be running around in darkened rooms, popping pills and
listening to repetitive music.
 -- Marcus Brigstocke
http://www.marcusbrigstocke.com/pacman.asp

License: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.5/au/