RFC on Base Wine Config

Ben Klein shacklein at gmail.com
Sun May 3 05:54:32 CDT 2009

2009/5/3 Paul TBBle Hampson <Paul.Hampson at pobox.com>:
> On Sun, May 03, 2009 at 03:07:35PM +1000, Ben Klein wrote:
>> It's NOT a networked drive, is it? Drive mappings are the only way to
>> tell Wine and apps running in Wine where your files are in your
>> host-system (Unix-style) filesystem.
>
> The discussion on wine-devel in April related to bug 15883 suggested the
> implementation of \\?\unix\ which would in turn allow programs access to
> things that aren't mapped in the DosDevices list, unless specifically
> disallowed (which wasn't discussed at the time)
>
> A quick look at [1] suggests that \\?\unix\etc/hostname would seem to be
> a reasonable thing to expect to work under Wine.

But that requires either
1) the app to be aware of \\?\unix, or
2) Wine to map \\?\unix/foo/bar when no drive mapping to /foo/bar exists.

#2 would also require some way to be configured to allow the
equivalent of removing the default Z: drive mapping for people who
want it. However, it would not provide any additional functionality
and could easily be considered a waste of time. Of course, that's not
up to me ;)

>> Note that it would be a breach of security to allow some method to
>> access / without a direct mapping in dosdevices.
>
> How so? I'm fairly sure this suggestion was dismissed in the
> above-mentioned email discussions as well.

AFAIK, the main reason people remove the Z: mapping is a security
concern. It's not an issue for me, but some people like to restrict
the files that win32 apps can access to a subdirectory in $HOME. If
there's some workaround to access files outside the drive mapping
(assuming pure win32 of course :D ), then unless it can be disabled by
the user, it's a security breach.